Ciboro, 53, cites concerns about jail inmates, guards
The North Toledo man accused of chaining a teenage girl in his basement said Monday he fears for his life in jail.
Timothy Ciboro, 53, spoke publicly for the first time since he and his son, Esten Ciboro, 27, were charged May 19 with kidnapping and child endangerment. Their case has drawn national attention since last week’s arrest.
The 13-year-old girl told police she was held for extended periods in the basement of 825 Noble St. She said she ate spoiled food scraps and was forced defecate in a bucket containing ammonia, according to court documents.
Mr. Ciboro began his jailhouse interview today by reciting a statement expressing worry about incarceration.
“I am in fear for my life and the life of my son every second of every day. There’s no way either of us would ever commit suicide,” Mr. Ciboro said.
Mr. Ciboro said he is afraid of the Lucas County jail inmates and guards. He said he has faith in Yeshua as lord and savior, and said he is confident in his life after death.
“My fear comes from my children being without a dad,” Mr. Ciboro said.
The victim in the case is not his child, but her two younger siblings are his children. The mother of all three children left them with him and went to Las Vegas several years ago.
Mr. Ciboro said he would only comment further if The Blade provided him money for expenses related to his legal defense. Esten Ciboro declined to speak with reporters today.
Sheriff John Tharp acknowledged Mr. Ciboro’s case is sensitive, but said jail staff will work to safely house him.
“The real reality is we have held numerous inmates in the past with very sensitive cases,” Sheriff Tharp said.
Both men remained in the Lucas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bonds. They are scheduled for a preliminary hearing Thursday in Toledo Municipal Court.